The future is what you make it. When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future. That means changing the way we fly, fueling jets in an eco-friendly way, keeping buildings smart and safe and even making it possible to breathe on Mars. Working at Honeywell isn’t just about developing cool things. That’s why all of our employees enjoy access to dynamic career opportunities across different fields and industries. Are you ready to help us make the future?
Honeywell UOP is seeking a highly qualified individual for their R&D Materials Characterization group in Des Plaines, Illinois. Honeywell UOP R&D Materials Characterization in Des Plaines is a corporate center of excellence (CoE) supporting Honeywell UOP and corporate needs for chemical and materials analysis. The R&D Scientist II would work within a team of scientists utilizing advanced chromatography and high resolution mass spectrometry systems (including GCxGC, GCxGC/TOF-MS, GC/MS, LC/MS and FT-ICR MS) along with other CoE staff to support organic materials analysis needs.
Candidates should have a thorough understanding of organic chemistry matched with skills in chemical analysis. Familiarity with organic reaction mechanisms, classical and instrumental organic functional group analysis is required. The candidate must be able to assimilate information from a variety of analytical techniques, such as, chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry to generate insights and critical recommendations for technology delivery projects. Direct experience in operating chromatography and mass spectrometry systems and data interpretation is required. Experience in in chemical separations is desirable.
• Area: Research and Development
• Work within a team of scientists utilizing advanced chromatography and high resolution mass spectrometry systems
Operate and maintain an FT ICR-MS systemAnalyze materials, particularly in the area of petroleum chemistry
• Collaborate with R&D staff and assimilate information from a variety of analytical techniques, such as, chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry
You Must Have
• PhD in Analytical Chemistry or Chemistry
• 0-3 years of experience in analytical chemistry
• 0-3 years of experience with gas chromatography and mass spectrometry
• 0-3 years of experience in analytical chemistry associated with organic chemistry preferred.
• Instrument operation and general trouble-shooting skills with chromatography and mass spectrometry including FT ICR-MS
• Interpretive skills with infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry applied to organic chemical analysis and particularly in the area of petroleum technology
• Able to interpret, organize and prepare concise written reports from analytical data.
• Act as a technical resource for analyzing and characterizing materials and organic compounds to contribute in the development and support of Honeywell UOP technologies.
• Project planning and leadership capability.
• Able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment to manage multiple, complex and competing projects.
• Familiarity with design of experiments and statistical quality control desired.
• Ability to stand on your feet to utilize instruments, climbs stairs/ladders, lift up to 30 pounds, and push up to 50 pounds.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.