Innovate to solve the world's most important challenges
The future is what you make it.
When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future.
That means changing the way we fly, fueling jets in an eco-friendly way, keeping buildings intelligent and safe and even making it possible to breathe on Mars.
Working at Honeywell isn’t just about developing cool things. That’s why all our employees enjoy access to dynamic career opportunities across different fields and industries.
Honeywell changes the way the world works.
For more than 130 years, we’ve solved the toughest customer challenges through a rare combination of our industrial expertise and our innovations in ground breaking software and technology, and industry-leading automation.
This perfection is built on a foundation of inclusion, diversity and driving a performance culture that values integrity and ethics.
Are you ready to help us make the future?
At Honeywell, our people are driven by a desire to contribute, be challenged and grow. Our people make Honeywell a special company and are a key competitive advantage. Honeywell is a Fortune 100 company that invents and manufactures technologies to address some of the world’s toughest technical challenges, with more than 130,000 employees worldwide, including more than 20,000 engineers and scientists.
Honeywell’s Federal Manufacturing & Technologies business manages the U. S. Department of Energy’s Kansas City National Security Campus in Missouri and New Mexico, manufacturing sophisticated mechanical, electronic and engineered-material components for our nation's defense system. Honeywell is on the leading edge of supplying engineering and manufacturing expertise for our nation's defense and national security.
The Hadoop Systems Administrator performs and oversees a variety of functions to ensure the Hadoop infrastructure is available, reliable, and stable. Applies advanced judgment and analysis in the evaluation, selection, installation, and maintenance of software and hardware systems that enable a variety of analytics, AI, Machine Learning, and other “big data” use cases. Monitors systems and serves as a focal point for routine support of systems. Has responsibility for building/maintaining infrastructure so that citizen analysts and data scientists can perform expert evaluation and gain insight to support both strategic and tactical continuous improvement efforts.
Summary of Duties:
• Responsible for expertise in Hadoop infrastructure design, configuration, installation, security and ongoing support.
• Install and configure software updates and deploy application code releases to production and non-production environments.
• Understanding of best practices in maintaining medium to large scale Hadoop clusters
• Implement and maintain backup and recovery strategies on Hadoop clusters based on current process and procedures.
• Install, configure, and maintain high availability of the environment.
• Perform capacity planning of Hadoop cluster and provide recommendations to management to sustain forecast business growth needs.
• Implement and maintain disaster recovery methodologies and create documentation that follows industry best practices.
• Proactively identify opportunities to implement automation and monitoring solutions.
• Collaborate with technical peers at Honeywell Corporate and other sites within NSE in support of NNSA Mission.
• Propagate knowledge and operations readiness through documentation and mentorship.
• Support ETL Team on importing datasets from other platforms into the Hadoop cluster.
• Ability to perform analysis of competing technologies and products.
• Work closely and escalates issues directly with vendors to ensure that supporting operating systems are compliant with applications, including required patch levels, hot fixes, and revisions.
• Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and works in accordance with established HS&E requirements to ensure the protection of associates, the public, and the environment. Takes actions necessary to "stop" work when an unsafe condition, or action, is identified. Every employee has the right and responsibility to stop work when unsafe conditions or actions are identified.
YOU MUST HAVE
• U.S. Citizenship needed to obtain and maintain required US Dept. of Energy “Q”-level security clearance.
• Bachelor's degree in the field of Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Physical Science, or STEM field
• At least 3 months of practical professional experience in a systems administration role is required; 1-3 years preferred
• Master’s degree in Data Science/Analytics preferred.
• Hadoop Certifications desired.
• Understanding of Hadoop ecosystem technologies (Apache Spark, HDFS, Hive, Ambari, Ranger, Atlas, NiFi)
• Advanced knowledge of specific operating systems (Linux), servers, and shell scripting.
• Demonstrated experience with databases (i.e., SQL, NoSQL, Hive, Cassandra, In Memory, MongoDB, HBase).
• Demonstrated experience with different programming languages (Python, Java, Zeppelin, R).
• Demonstrated experience with data munging tools (i.e., RStudio, SparkR).
• Familiarity with setup/configuration of HortonWorks Data Platform, HortonWorks DataFlow.
• Effective communication skills to partner closely with citizen analysts and Data Scientists.
Location:14520 Botts Road, Kansas City, MO 64147 USA
Must be a US Citizen due to contractual requirements.
Honeywell FM&T Overview
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.